Participatory Awakening Process (PAP) is designed to mobilize communities and local churches to design, plan, implement, and evaluate their development process. It also empowers communities to identify and use local resources for development.
PAP facilitates communities to “discover” who they are, and their potential, and to envision their destiny. Using the power of visioning, they then determine how to achieve that destiny. PAP facilitates the community through 5 stages:
- Church Awakening, to enable the church to understand her biblical mandate for Holistic Ministry.
- Description facilitates communities and churches to tell their story about who they are and where they are coming from. In this stage, Churches and Communities discuss their current situation in relation to their history.
- Information gathering facilitates communities to gather specific information regarding the real issues affecting them.
- Analysis involves validation of information and deriving a meaning out of it. The community analyzes causes and effects of their problems, and what they can do to solve the problems.
- Decision making involves visioning and formulation of specific goals and objectives that will help them to attain the vision. Development committees (CDC) are trained as an exit strategy and for sustainability of the mobilisation done. CDC are important structures that spearhead all development activities in which churches and communities are involved.
Mission and Vision Connections:
The Basic ethos of PAP is Biblical transformation based on people determining their own destiny as God desired it to be. In the Participatory Awakening Process, Bible studies are the most important tools used to move the local church to position herself to engage with the immediate communities in implementing holistic ministry, build her confidence to engage effectively with the community, and hence to truly become Salt and Light, and conclusively influence the community around her. At the end of the day, the general community has a clear vision for holistic development and transformation.